Fragrant chickpea and spinach samosas (vegan friendly)
(This recipe is part of my Vegetarian Series. See here for more!)
These samosas are great served hot or cold, along with rita, mango chutney and indian pickle. That’s how I served them for one amazing picnic last summer, making for a more fun, special meal than the usual.
Did you say vegan samosas?
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes plus cooling time.
Difficulty: moderate Makes: 6 medium samosas
- 1 tbsp vegetable ghee/oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tin drained chickpeas (240g soaked chickpeas)
- large handful of coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- tin chopped tomatoes
- 50g sliced fresh spinach
- salt to taste
- 100ml soy cream
- 6 samosa wrappers
TIP: allow this mix to cool fully before wrapping, otherwise the rappers will be more likely to stretch and break.
- Heat your ghee/ oil over a low heat, meanwhile finely dice your onion and add to the pan. Allow to sweat and become translucent as you measure out your spices, and chop your coriander, combining in a bowl.
- Add the chickpeas to the pan, along with all the spices, coriander and chopped tomatoes. Stir to combine all the ingredients and simmer gently to reduce to a thick sauce, stirring regularly.
- Slice your spinach and add to the sauce, stirring in to allow it to wilt. Add salt to taste.
- Turn off the heat and add the soy cream, and stir in.
- Allow your mixture to cool fully (to speed up this process, you might spread it out on a larger plate/ tray.
- Wrap into your pre made samosa wrappers. Find out how to here!
- preheat your oven to 220°C/ fan 200°C/ 425°F/ Gas 7. Brush with Vegetable oil/ghee and place on a tray in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.