Fragrant cumin potatoes
These cumin potatoes are similar to the sort of roasts that you would have with a sunday dinner, however the fragrant cumin seeds give a hint of Indian cooking. Let’s just say that it’s an Asian-European fusion recipe inspired by the spice trade of yester-year.
PREP TIME: 5 minutes COOK TIME:40 minutes
DIFFICULTY: moderate SERVES: 2
- 8 new potatoes
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 5tbsp oil
TIP: Choose an oil with a high smoke point for roasties, to avoid a bitter taste. High smoke point oils include sunflower oil, sesame oil and peanut oil (the latter two will give a nice, oriental nutty flavour as an added bonus) Olive oil tends to have a low smoke point to avoid it for his recipe.
- Fill a small pan with water and bring to the boil.
- Place your cumin seeds on the baking tray in the oven and preheat to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Scrape the skins of your potatoes with a fork to give them a rough texture (this will give them a higher surface area and therefore more crispy bits- yum) before chopping them in half.
- Boil the potatoes until soft. This will take about 15 minutes, but will depend on the size of your potatoes, so stab them with a fork to see how their doing before you take them out. Once they feel cooked through, drain them well and crush them just a little- not enough to mash them, just enough to form cracks in the flesh.
- Remove your preheated tray from the oven using a cloth or oven gloves and put the potatoes onto the tray.
- Put your oil in a pan over a high heat and heat until it has become very runny and is almost at its smoke point- keep a very close watch of your oil as there is a very fine line between hot oil and spitting, smoking burning oil.
- Tip the hot oil directly onto the potatoes. The oil should hiss slightly as it coats the potatoes. with a spoon or spatula, stir the potatoes round so they get an even coating of oil and cumin seeds.
- Place back in the over for a further 20-25 minutes, giving them a shake/ stir half way through to ensure an even coating. The potatoes should be golden, crispy and fragrant.