This has got to be my favourite thing to eat for breakfast – it’s full of flavour and has plenty of veggies to give you a good start to the day… it’s actually good enough to eat for any meal of the day, but traditionally, it’s a breakfast food.
PREP TIME: 10-15 minutes COOK TIME: 10 minutes
DIFFICULTY: easy-moderate SERVES: 1
- 1 large tortilla wrap
- 2 medium eggs
- a little olive oil for frying
- 1/4 of a ripe avocado or guacamole, chopped into chunks
- a few gratings of cheddar cheese
- a little fresh coriander
For the raw salsa:
- 1/4 small red onion, diced nice and small
- 1 large tomato
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander
- 1/4 of a lime.
- half a medium jalapeño
For the cooked veggie mix:
- a scattering of sweetcorn
- 1 clove of grated garlic
- 3 tbsp mixed beans (you can get these ready prepared in a tin)
- a few slices of chorizo/panchetta/ salami (totally optional but nice if you’re feeling a bit carnivorous)
TIP: Serve this dish with brown rice and salad to make it into a big substantial main meal. This recipe is to serve just one person, but it can easily by scaled up to serve more, without taking much longer.
- First make your raw salsa by dicing your onion and tomato, chopping your coriander and jalapeño nice and small and mixing together in a bowl. Squeeze the 1/4 lime over the top and mix together. When making raw salsa, squeezing a little lime or lemon juice over the top will not exactly cook the ingredients, but will take a sharp edge off raw ingredient such as onion and garlic. Set aside to develop.
- Put a frying pan onto a medium heat. Pop your tortilla wrap into the pan to gently warm it, but don’t let it burn or overheat. Once the tortilla is warm remove from the pan and pop on a plate, covering with foil or a clean cloth to keep warm.
- Pop a dash of olive oil and garlic (and chorizo if you like) in the pan stirring frequently, until fragrant and infused. Stir in the sweetcorn and beans, and allow to heat through for around 3 minutes. Once hot, put this veggie mix onto your warm tortilla.
- Don’t clean the pan, instead simply fry the eggs in this pan, to allow the garlicky flavour to cook into the egg. Once the whites have set, carefully place the fried eggs on top of the tortilla.
- Scatter the raw salsa over the top of the eggs, then top with the avocado, coriander and grated cheese.
- Dig in, you’re done!